The Climate Gathering originated as a project known as the “Western World Convention”. In January 2012 Green Foundation Ireland began working with a group of Irish experts in climate policy, mediation and problem-solving to assess whether Ireland could be used as a gathering place for a new interdisciplinary network of leaders addressing the climate challenge. The project has been funded by the Tony Ryan Trust, a philanthropic foundation set up as a legacy of the founder of Ryanair, Europe’s largest airline.
Green Foundation Ireland
GFI is an Irish foundation for green cultural change, affiliated to the Green European Foundation (GEF).
Through the GEF it is allied with other European Green Foundations, such as Grüne Bildungswerkstatt (Austria); Oikos Foundation (Belgium); Heinrich Böll Foundation (Germany); Alexander Langer Foundation (Italy); Cogito Foundation (Sweden).
The Advisory Board guiding the development of the project includes the following members:
- Dr Colin Brown, Director, Ryan Institute for Environmental, Marine and Energy Research, National University of Ireland Galway
- Peter Cassells, Director, Edward M Kennedy Institute for Conflict Intervention, National University of Ireland Maynooth
- Prof Frank Convery, Earth Institute, University College Dublin
- Sandy Dunlop, branding consultant and board member of Green Foundation Ireland
- Brendan Hanifin, solicitor and board member of Green Foundation Ireland
- Thomas Legge, Senior Associate, European Climate Foundation
- Turlough O’Donnell, Senior Counsel, former Chairman of the Bar Council of Ireland
- Eamon Ryan, former Minister for Energy in the Irish Government
For further information contact Ryan Meade, Director: email@example.com